Online reservation system was initially developed in the 1960's to help the airlines manage their ticket transactions but later even the travel agencies started using it to simplify the processes for its clients. Today online reservation system is even accessible to consumers through Internet Gateways and it allows the users to book hotel rooms, rent cars as well as book online airline tickets, which is definitely a more convenient way of making your travel plans. However, the functionality is tailored to solve the purpose specific demand of consumers.
This modern day online reservation system is a mechanism which has helped e-tourism reach completely new heights. The locally rooted travel industries are now able to reach to more customers worldwide and expanding their business. The completely automated booking and reservation processes have helped business managers save time, human resource and focus on other aspect of business development.
The benefits of online reservation system are surely too many which is why this fully automated booking system is such a hit in the service industries.
- Online customer self-scheduling. This enables clients to book their reservations at their own personal comfort and whenever they want during the day, even during non-working hours. It's really a convenience to agencies and their team as well, as it could drastically reduce the volume of phone calls and e-mails from clients looking for a reservation.
- Automated e-mail and text message reminders. Sent automated-reminders through the program prior to a scheduled reservation time, this aspect can help to eliminate the amount of "no-shows" by over 50 %.
- Online payment choices. If presented the option, a lot of customers would pay money for their services while doing the booking. Furthermore, people are much less more likely to show up if they have paid for the services already.
- Record-keeping and reporting. Because online reservation system centralizes all information, tracking down and accumulating information on customers and their reservations is really a lot less complicated than searching through paper appointment books and excel spreadsheets. Some applications have even regular reports that users can easily generate and analyze.
- E-marketing functions. Having existing client e-mail addresses could make or break an effective e-marketing campaign. An online customer e-mail lists is easy to maintain and manage, as well as will be updated since customers will have access to update their account and the burden of manually monitoring a secondary e-mail mailing list is omitted.
Online reservation systems are the future of the self catering holiday provider as more and more people request online booking or as a minimum live availability. It is even more important as home working becomes a lifestyle choice, web based solutions are becoming more and more powerful.